Old town of Murten
The Bern Gate was first mentioned in history in 1239. It was completely destroyed during the battle against Charles the Bold. Over the years, it had to be rebuilt several times.
The Primary School was built between 1836 and 1839 by Murten native and architect Johann Jakob Weibel. It is a testimony to Liberalism, particular to the period of the first half of the 19th Century.
The meadow-like site of the Kanonenmätteli is located at the eastern entrance to the town.
The French Church was built in the late- Gothic style in 1481 to replace the earlier chapel dedicated to St. Catherine. The memorial plaque above the Church’s entrance commemorates the reformer, William Farel (1530).
The “Rathausgasse” was once the scene of a real life, tragic-comic theater. In the summer of 1866, an American circus performed one day in Murten, featured an elephant act that thrilled the spectators.
The building, which is used today as town hall, was built after the city fire in 1416. Between 1748 and 1750 it was renovated and enlarged.
The German Rectory was built in 1729, in the Bernese country house style, featuring a canted roof.
According to historical record, a chapel existed here in 1399 and was dedicated to Saint Mary. It was rebuilt in 1710 in the Baroque style. The old chapel has been preserved in the choir section.
The rampart walls were built in several stages and from a variety of materials such as gravel, tuff and sandstone. The lower 15 layers of stone date from before the town’s construction (12th century).
The building is a late Gothic-styled jewel and adds an elegant, harmonious final touch to the town’s main street (Hauptgasse).
The castle dates to the time of Count Peter of Savoy II who ordered its construction in 1255. Under the castle gate, dating from 1516, much rebuilding took place.
The Lindensaal is one of Murten’s oldest promenades. This open area offers an exceptional view of Lake Murten.
The Murten Museum is one of the oldest in the canton Fribourg. Since 1978, it is located in the former mill, outside the rampart walls.
When the Battle of Murten ended, a runner carried a Linden branch to announce the Swiss victory over Charles the Bold.
Today, the moat is a pleasant green area and home to gardens from Murten’s inhabitants. A path on the edge of the former moat leads along the city walls and is a nice place for a walk outside the old town.
The Catholic Church was built outside the city walls by Adolphe Fraisse in 1885. Together with the nearby rectory, it is in Neo- Gothic style; the church tower was added in 1925.
The Törliplatz is the city’s southern point of entry. The square’s fountain played an important role in the past. More information in the section: Fountains.
Common Swifts like to nest in old buildings, towers and town walls. Murten hosts quite an impressive colony. Here, many pairs occupy the nestboxes which have been constructed especially for them.
Here is a marvelous view of the Baroquestyled town of Murten, enhanced by the various arches, giving way to the arcades. In 17th/18th century it became a masterpiece of architecture.